5.24.2010

Graduation.

12 of my supremely wonderful students graduated on Saturday.
I was their speaker, along with the core high school teacher Pat.

This is what i said:


When you asked me to speak with Mr. K I was so humbled...and I thought about what it is that I could say to you, what great final life lesson I would leave you with - other than no matter where you go or what you do TRY OUT for your local theatre!

I didn’t want to read anybody else’s “great commencement speeches” in case I wound up saying what THEY had to say rather than what I wanted to share with you....then I thought of that famous saying “Write what you know” and I remembered my own high school graduation.

To be honest, I don’t know what my own speaker said. I don’t remember. What I do know is how that day felt. I remember sitting up on stage as you are now thinking “FINALLY! Its finally here, I cant believe I’m finally done!” It seemed like it had taken forever to get to that bittersweet day – and it was in that memory I found the first thing I want to say to you:

I know how you’re feeling. Enjoy this day. Live it up! You have earned it, and you only get it once in your life. But know this – from this day on, time only speeds up. It’s why you’re sitting there thinking ‘finally!’ and your parents are sitting there thinking ‘it seems like only yesterday...’  though granted some of them may ALSO be thinking ‘finally!’

The thing about time speeding up is that if you’re not careful, you’ll lose yourself in it. Things that make you who you are can get forgotten and lost in the shuffle of time. And in looking back and seeing time fly by me I realized the second thing I knew I wanted to say to you. See, I know you. And you’re all SO. WONDERFULLY. DIFFERENT. it would be impossible to think of just one thing that I didn’t want you to lose or forget. So instead of thinking of one thing I didn’t want ALL of you to lose, I thought of one thing I didn’t want EACH of you to lose. They may not be the most grand, and they may not be the very center of who you are, they are simply the things I as your teacher have come to value in each of you. So, here they are and bear with me if I start to cry.


Rylee: Don’t lose your genuineness. You are genuine and kind. Those traits are rare, but everyone benefits by coming in contact with someone like you.

Will: Don’t lose your ability to stand-alone. That independence, that chutzpah that says I will dance even if no one else does. Go forward and defy anyone who tries to put you in a box.

Christina and Justion – I never had the privilege of having you in my class. So I asked your former teachers to tell me about you. Christina yours said: you are spunky, tenacious and fun. Justin: You are diligent, talented. What a wonderful reputation to have!

Andrew: Don’t forget you’re an artist. As an artist you have a need to express – whether through drawing, music, acting, photography – if you don’t express, you will suffer. So let it out!

Reid: Don’t loose your wanderlust. Travel breeds wisdom. So go, travel, explore, experience....just don’t be reckless.

Nathan: Don’t forget you’re a leader. You are confident, and unafraid to look honestly at yourself. Those two things can take you anywhere you choose. Lead for good.

Nateal: Don’t lose your love of life, your zest. You are so energetic and passionate and present in every. single. moment. People like you, make the world a colorful place.  

David: Don’t lose your drive. That spark inside of you that pushes you to pursue your dreams...to be authentic and good and honest. Those are noble aspirations.

Jenna – Don’t lose your moxie. Your mind and your boldness are a gift. Temper your boldness with wisdom and you will be a force to be reckoned with.

Ashlyn – Don’t lose your ability to be content. There is great beauty in appreciating simple things like time with those you love.

Amanda – Don’t lose your loyalty. You’re a good friend and you actively invest in others. Most people consider themselves very lucky if there is even one person in their life like you. 


It has been my privilege to be your teacher, and sometimes your student, for these past two years. I am proud of you, I’m excited for you, and I will miss you all so very much. Congratulations. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Now that's a graduation speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Nick and I went to little Christian school and our graduating class was small like this- only 16. So when I gave the valedictorian speech, I did this same thing- I said something about each of my classmates individually. That's what was cool about having such a small class, knowing and loving everyone so well. I bet your students love you so much!

    ReplyDelete