6.01.2010

New York and the baby.

Voting for The Tonys contest has ended, and results will be in Thursday.
If I'm honest, i don't see how i could have gotten it, as i know at least one other competitor stayed up voting for 21 hours straight.

I have a baby. I can't do that.
So we shall see.

Speaking of that baby, he wont sleep. or eat. or be happy. and i hope he's teething, or this 8 days of continuous crying will be the end of me. Today we tried teething gel, teething tablets, ice, baths, walking, driving, a frozen washcloth, sweet baby foods, singing, clapping, every toy he owns, etc. Nothing helped.

Does anyone have any remedies i've missed?

....i really hope that wanting a break doesn't mean im a bad mother.

moving quickly past that nagging thought:
My french press broke today. Silas would not fall asleep and was most certainly not going to stop crying, so i finally packed him up and stuck him in the car. Sure enough, he fell asleep as i drove to a little bakery i've been wanting to check out. Bought a loaf of sourdough* and a ham and cheese croissant**.  Decided what would make me feel a bit more sane would be to curl up with coffee, the croissant, and Julia Childs book "My Life in France" - which i picked up a few days ago from the library.  Backtracked and drove all the way to the school to pick up the press, drove home, and as i opened the passenger side door, it tumbled out and shattered at my feet. I watched the whole thing happen and couldn't do anything about it as i was holding a car-seat. To top it off, as soon as we walked back in the door, Silas started screaming again.

i may or may not have called Ryan crying, demanding to know "if this day could BE any worse?!"
i have a flair for the dramatic.

He came home and let me escape outside while he made dinner.
Love that man.

Feeling more sane now. My mini-escape let me work on some chairs for Silas' room, and pull some weeds from the backyard garden. Which is doing FANTASTIC! i ate the first ripe strawberries tonight :)

These are the chairs im currently re-vamping:



And a hint as to their intended outcome:
Jolly roger flag line art


I found them at a yard sale and the lady just gave them to me! She also told me they were used as barstools in the old downtown diner - which closed years ago and is now a RiteAid ("like a baby Gap" Anyone?). That means Ryans father sat in them when he was a little boy!  I'll post pictures as soon as they're done. 



Off to bed! 




*Lovely, though not what i was expecting. Not your typical sourdough.
**Meh. Decent, but simultaneously crispy and chewy pastry - and unidentifiable cheese.
Seriously, how difficult is it to pair ham with swiss or a strong cheddar?

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic!
    "Like a baby gap!"
    Love the reference to You've Got Mail.
    Love that film. :D

    ReplyDelete